Ampiclox 250mg/5ml 100ml-Beecham
Ampiclox is the combination of two active ingredients such as Ampicillin and Cloxacillin.
Ampiclox belongs to a group of drugs known as Penicillin antibiotics and used to treat various bacterial infections.
It is manufactured by SmithKline Beecham Pharmaceutical.
Ampiclox is a combination of penicillin antibiotics, which is commonly prescribed to provide a broader spectrum of activity, especially against penicillin-resistant infections.
It is available in oral tablets and capsules, injectable, syrup and neonatal drops.
- Ampiclox 500 (capsules)
- Ampiclox 500 I (injection)
- Ampiclox S (syrup)
- Ampiclox D (neonatal drops)
- Ampiclox 75 I (neonatal injection)
It is used in the treatment of a wide range of bacterial infections caused by susceptible organisms including:
- Upper and lower respiratory tract infections,
- Urinary tract infection
- Middle ear infections,
- Gastrointestinal infections
- Bone and joint infection
- Skin and soft-tissue infections such as boils or infections as a result of spider bites.
- Endocarditis – Inflammation of the lining of the heart and its valves.
- impetigo – a bacterial skin infection characterized by small pus-filled blisters.
How Ampiclox Work?
Ampicillin exerts its effect by inhibiting the synthesis of the bacterial cell wall.
Cloxacillin inhibits the third and final stage of bacterial cell wall synthesis. Cell lysis is then mediated by autolytic enzymes of the bacterial cell wall, such as autolysins; Cloxacillin may interfere with an autolysin inhibitor.Ampiclox Side Effects
Common side effects include,
- Minor stomach upsets.
- Blotchy skin rash.
- Inflammation of blood vessels.
- Pink or dark urine.
- Gastrointestinal discomfort.
- Allergic reaction.
- Hypersensitivity reactions.
- Blood in stool.
- Swelling of the mouth and tongue,
- Breathing difficulties.
- Joint pain.
- Enlargement of the lymph nodes.
- Hives and itchiness in private parts.
- Avoid taking this drug if you are allergic to Penicillin or any other component of this medicine.
- Ampiclox is not suitable for infants.
- Should not use ampiclox for a prolonged time.
- Avoid taking this medication If you have Kidney or Liver ailments, the dosage of this medicine should be lower.
- Contraindicated in glandular fever
- Not suitable if you have leukemia
- Do not take If you are on Sodium restrictive diet
- Avoid taking this medication in case of diabetes, arthritis, psoriasis and cancer patients.
- The usual dose for adults for susceptible infections one capsule four times a day.
- For serious infections, the dose can be increased up to 12 capsules per day.
The usual childhood dose for susceptible infection is one dose four times a day. The upper dose contains 125 mg of ampicillin and 125 mg of cloxacillin
- The usual dose in adults for skin and soft tissue infections Osteomyelitis and other bone infections. In acute osteomyelitis, parenteral therapy for the first three weeks for another three weeks in chronic osteomyelitis parenteral therapy for one or two months, followed by oral therapy in the episode.
- The usual dose for adults for septicemia, meningitis, endocarditis caused by sensitive organisms 500mg (ampicillin 250 mg and cloxacillin 250 mg) in ten ml or 1 g (ampicillin 500 mg and 500 mg) cloxacillin
in 20 ml of water for injections. Given slowly for three or four minutes, repeated every six hours.
- Doses of more than 500 mg should be administered in two different locations of no more than 500 mg in 3 ml.
- The doctor can suggest the dose depending on your medical history and other medical conditions, physical health and current medications. The dosage also depends on the patient’s response.